Community Forklift accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover Card, debit cards, checks and good old-fashioned cash!
Did you know that Community Forklift has successfully completed Co-op America's screening process for socially and environmentally responsible green businesses? We are now in their National Green Pages™ directory!
Are you interested in environmental issues, sustainable business, green building, home improvement, architecture, or historical preservation? We're looking for you!
Click here to download a copy of Community Forklift's Application for Employment
Current job openings:
Weekend Reuse Associate Needed for Green Business
Community Forklift recruits Reuse Associates, on an ongoing basis, to work with our growing green business. Reuse Associates are retails sales positions within our home improvement thrift store. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Bilingual English/Spanish required.
Qualities of the perfect candidate
- Outgoing, friendly personality and natural ability to make others feel comfortable
- Ability to work most weekends
- Working knowledge of building materials or architectural salvage; prior work experience in a hardware store preferred but not required
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong English speaking and writing skills; bilingual Spanish required
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills; prior retail store experience a plus
- Capacity to perform physical labor and moderate lifting (up to 20 lbs.) in a non-climate controlled environment including the ability to work in all seasons and in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to fully follow through on work assignments in a timely manner, with attention to detail
- Works well in a cooperative team-based environment
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for recycling, reuse, sustainability, environmental advocacy and green business
- Expressed commitment to the Community Forklift mission
About the Position
- REQUIRED: Weekend Availability; and other hours possible
- Create a welcoming atmosphere for customers, volunteers and donors; greet people entering the store
- Provide excellent customer service to donors and warehouse customers as well as answer questions about Community Forklift’s mission, events, policies and other recycling and reuse options
- Facilitate customer sales by writing up tickets and operating cash registers
- Clean and organize donated building materials and store displays; assist labeling and stocking materials
- Gather information from donors and customers as requested
- Recognize acceptable and unacceptable materials and provide information to people about those items
- Assist moving product from the processing areas to appropriate area of the sales floor
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff to fulfill the mission and support team activities
- $11 per hour
- Annual work shoe allowance
- Subsidized health, dental and vision plans (available for positions with qualifying minimum weekly hours)
- Opportunity for advancement as the business grows
About Community Forklift
Community Forklift is a nonprofit reuse center for home improvement and architectural salvage. The store accepts donations of new, gently-used and vintage building materials; these donated renovation supplies are then made available to the public at low prices and donated to local nonprofits. Community Forklift is located outside Northeast DC, near the Hyattsville Arts District.
Send a resume, cover letter and three (3) professional references: by email to COOCommunityForklift@gmail.com, by fax (301) 985-5182, or by regular mail to Reuse Associates Position, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781. Please, no phone calls.
Thanks to we keep work simple.
Store Phone: 301-985-5180 *** Donations Phone: 301-832-0781 *** Fax: 301-985-5182
Email: To inquire about donating materials, please fill out the form on our donations page.
To send us pictures of materials you would like to donate, use: Donations(at)CommunityForklift(dot)org
For media inquiries, please use: Ruthie(at)CommunityForklift(dot)org
For everything else use: Info(at)CommunityForklift(dot)org
Visit: 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781
Directions: 5 minutes from DC in Prince George's County
Sat & Sun: 9-6p, Mon-Fri: 10-6p, Wednesday: 10-7p
Copyright © 2005-2014 Community Forklift